Saturday, December 3, 2016

"Down" to 196, or Seven Pounds Lost

I'm not weighing myself every day now, so it was a few days ago that I found out I had lost another pound in spite of four days off the official diet. I think part of the weight loss may have been because on my own I choose low-salt options if I can. I believe Nutrisystem has too much sodium and other preservatives.

My back is getting better. I dug out the back exercise pamphlet my doctor gave me, and I went online and reviewed my HMO's treatment guidelines. I've also been doing a little cooking and I'm trying to find recipes that my husband will like and that fit into a healthy weight-loss diet. I really hate having to weigh and measure things, and having to use math to figure out calorie composition/protein/carb ratio, etc....

I've been reading the nutrition information on Nutrisystem products and it had seemed to me as if Nutrisystem products have more protein than similar packaged foods, but I see I am at least partly wrong:

Here's one example:

Nutrisystem Nutriflakes Cereal:  110 calories, 1 gram fat, 5 gram fiber, 3 grams protein, 210 grams sodium in 1 oz (28g) container

Kellogg's All-Bran Cereal Wheat Flakes: 90 calories, .5gram fat,  5 gram fiber, 3 grams protein, 210 grams sodium in 29g container

Although the Kellogg's serving is almost the same size as the Nutriflake's serving, the Kellogg's has fewer calories and fat. The fiber, sodium,  and protein are the same.


This means though, that I can substitute Kellogg's bran flakes for some breakfasts without getting out of the Nutrisystem pattern; however, since my husband likes Bob's Red Mill Thick rolled oats I think I would prefer that.

One serving of Bob's Red Mill Thick Rolled Oats (1/2 cup dry) would be 210 calories, 3.5 grams fat, zero sodium, and six grams of protein. This would work if I put breakfast carb and the "smart carb snack" together. I would also have to figure out how much 1/2 cup dry measures out if I make it for both of us.

This is getting complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment